Our set-up gives us a global reach, with the agility to move quickly. Our team represents the best expertise in property, legal, tax and finance and works out of London, Chicago, Kuala Lumpur and Sydney. Internal expertise is complemented by strong enduring partnerships with external advisers, allowing us to deliver the complete solution investors require and the best risk-adjusted returns. With experience across a wide range of real estate assets (see our case studies) and strategies, we seek properties with both defensive qualities and opportunities to add value. Hands-on active asset management often enables an investment to outperform original projections.
Our investors are international organisations and those that value local insight and expertise in the selection, due diligence, structuring and execution of investment strategies. Frequently they have particular ethical criteria as well as commercial requirements. For example, delivering a Shari’ah compliant solution or one with social or environmental impact in mind. We deliver results under our promise of doing great business with a good conscience, believing that impeccable ethics and a responsible investment strategy make good business sense.
How We Work
Working in a careful and precise way allows us to make the right decisions. With an efficient process, we have agility and pragmatism to get transactions to completion.
- A global perspective increases the choice and quality of the investment opportunities we can offer investors.
- A careful screening process covers every aspect of the investment including the precise profile and use of the building, tenant quality, building age, obsolescence and sustainability. These factors are balanced with the objective of delivering superior risk-adjusted returns.
- We’re well known for overcoming the kind of complexities that can often cause deals to fail. As our portfolio demonstrates, the 90 North team works with passion, persistence and patience to close transactions.
- Independence gives us the agility to move quickly without being hampered by the obstacles and time delays that large institutions often face.
- We structure the transaction in an efficient way while taking into account the ethical concerns of our investors see our approach to responsible investment.
- A partnership approach with clear communication and complete openness is the best way to ensure the transaction is completed, and to everyone’s satisfaction. We continue this policy of openness throughout the lifetime of your investment.
- Our Partners have the authority to make decisions without a long approval process so deals can be closed faster.
- Proactive management of our assets improves their value and ensures high quality property management.
Strong values are the foundation of our success. They permeate every area of our work and define all our business relationships.
We value partnerships and respect the people we do business with. We communicate directly, openly and honestly in all our business transactions.
We identify, evaluate and create investment opportunities with a commitment to delivering profitable outcomes.
Impeccable business ethics
We are honest, direct and responsible, working to a strong ethical code that reflects the values of our investors.
Formed in 2011, we’ve achieved an enormous amount. Our purpose is to continue identifying and offering investment opportunities that are ethically sound and commercially valuable.
90 North Real Estate Partners LLP is established in Mayfair, London.
We close our first transaction, the £46,000,000 acquisition of Parham Student Village, Canterbury.
Acquisition of Aldwych Chambers, our first residential development.
A second residential development pushes the assets under our management above £250,000,000
A US subsidiary is established with an office in downtown Chicago.
First sale of L’Oreal logistics warehouse in Nottingham provides investors a 30% profit after just 18 months.
The FBI Headquarters in Denver is acquired, marking our entry into US real estate market.
Our second US acquisition – Continental Automotive office campus – pushes the US assets under our management above $100,000,000.
The acquisition of a logistics warehouse in Oslo, Norway becomes our first Continental Europe transaction.
A second Continental European acquisition of a logistics warehouse occupied by Volkswagen pushes the European assets under our management to €100,000,000.
Representative office opens in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Acquisition of Lenovo Server Headquarters in Raleigh, North Carolina pushes total US acquisitions to more than 1 million sqft.
First Dutch acquisition of Siemens Headquarters property outside Amsterdam.
German Primark deal breaks 90 North through the $1 billion mark.
90 North closes two UK acquisitions for £65m within the first two weeks of 2016.
90 North expands to new London offices at 91 Wimpole Street.
We have 2,000,000 sq.ft. US office space under management and our assets under management exceed $1,500,000,000.
A Australian subsidiary is established with an office in downtown Sydney.
Headquartered in London, with offices in Chicago, Kuala Lumpur and Sydney, global reach is one of our great strengths, together with local perspective and a dedication to responsible investment.
Cutting-edge real estate investment requires specialist expertise in the property, legal, tax and finance professions. We work as a team across our offices in London, Chicago, Kuala Lumpur and Sydney to deliver results.
James Caan (CBE), Chairman
James is one of the UK’s most successful and dynamic entrepreneurs. Initially achieving significant global success in recruitment companies, he has been building businesses and investing in real estate and private equity ever since. Well known for his time as a panellist on the BBC’s Dragons’ Den, James continues to make regular media appearances and supports a variety of UK Government initiatives including Startup Loans, which provides advice, loans and mentoring to new businesses. James was awarded a CBE in the Queen’s New Year Honours list 2015 for services to Entrepreneurship and charitable services through the James Caan Foundation.
Philip Churchill, Founder & Managing Partner
With a foundation in economics and banking, Philip has specialised in real estate investment management for more than fifteen years. Starting on Citigroup’s graduate programme within its Risk Management department, Philip made the transition into real estate in 1999 and has considerable experience in building successful investment management teams and implementing efficient ownership structures, particularly for Shari’ah compliant investors, across a wide range of real estate sectors and geographies.
Nick Judd, Founder & Head of Investment
Nick’s real estate and fund management career stretches back to the late 1980s. Since 2000 he has been working with Gulf based investors throughout the Middle East. He concentrates on delivering profitable results for 90 North’s investors, working with them in close partnership, focusing on the real estate fundamentals and driving all elements of the active asset management process from acquisition through to sale.
Faisal Butt, Partner
With a multidisciplinary background spanning real estate, finance, consulting, and private equity, Faisal is an entrepreneur and investor, best known for co-founding Spire Ventures with the backing of active investor James Caan. Established in 2010, Spire Ventures was founded based on the basic premise that success in property is less about the physical real estate and more about the people working the assets.
Responsible property investment is integral to doing profitable business with a good conscience.
We’ve committed to a strategy that ensures all investments are environmentally sound, socially responsible and appropriately governed. Ethical investing is part of our heritage, with many of our Partners having worked in environments where Shari’ah compliance is required.
We avoid acquiring properties where:
- environmental issues have occurred or are likely to do so
- the tenant’s activity is likely to damage the environment
- tenants’ requirements for energy efficiencies can’t be met
We prefer to acquire properties that provide best-in-class accommodation, including buildings with:
- “Excellent” or “Outstanding” rating from BREEAM in the UK
- at least “Silver” LEED certified in the US.
We apply the following principles:
- not acquiring properties where the tenant’s activity could have a negative social impact and be subject to adverse government intervention, including restrictions on activity or additional taxation
- frequently purchasing properties that have a positive social impact, including care homes and student accommodation
- delivering accommodation that is fit for purpose
- requiring the best level of service from property managers
- engaging in frequent tenant liaison to address any tenant issues or wishes
- delivering a positive environment for people working at 90 North, encouraging personal development and responsibility.
We apply the following principles:
- co-investing in all acquisitions unless requested not to by the investor, believing a clear alignment of interests is essential
- aligning remuneration of our Partners to the performance of individual investments
- where boards are established for the management of transactions, ensuring that the board members have the necessary skills to fulfil such a role
- being totally transparent in all aspects of our business dealings
- establishing shareholder agreements on transactions that are equitable to all participants
As a firm, we feel strongly about contributing to society and encourage our team to get involved in charitable work. Team members get paid time off to work with a charity of their choice. We also contribute to all their fundraising efforts. Our Chairman set up the James Caan Foundation, using his business knowhow to invest in social projects. Each investment is judged on its social return – whether that is the number of children educated, number of jobs created or the reach of research.